When it comes to nutrition in Ramadan, these are the most important rules to remember:
- Eat less
- Eat healthy foods
And I hope today’s recipes will help you to implement exactly these two rules.
The mixed lentil-vegetable soup can be served as a main dish. It is packed with beneficial fibres, vegetables, protein and carbs.
And the funny sounding “broccoli cookie” is an ideal side dish for the soup. Forget about your oily, deep-fried, calorie-loaded samosas! These broccoli cookies will help you to reinvent healthy eating in an entirely different way, bi’idnillah.
Mixed Lentil-Vegetable Soup
1st round ingredients
- ¼ cup of red lentils
- ¼ cup of green lentils
- ¼ cup of Split Bengal gram
- ¼ cup of chickpeas
- ¼ cup of Red rice
- 2 chicken breast
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. curry powder
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
2nd round ingredients
- 2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbs. garlic and ginger paste
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Wash the lentils, gram, chickpeas and rice thoroughly
- Let these ingredients soak in the water for two hours
- Rinse and drain the remaining water
- Add the rest of the ingredients from the 1st round ingredients.
- Add 3 cups of water
- Bring up to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and let simmer, covered
- Cook for an hour on low heat
- Add 2nd round ingredients
- Mix well and cook for another 15-20 minutes
- The soup is now ready to be served
- 2 cups of broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 boiled chicken breast, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ½ cup oats flakes
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbs. ground nuts or chia seed (optional)
- ½ tsp. chilli flakes (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180oC for 10 minutes
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender for a minute.
- Scoop a small spoonful of the blended mixture on your palm, and shape it so it resembles a cookie.
- Place the cookies on your baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes
- Enjoy the cookies, while they are warm